[olug] HDTV Antenna recommendation

Jon Larsen jon at jonlarsen.us
Wed May 16 11:22:44 UTC 2012

On 05/15/2012 12:46 PM, Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T wrote:
> On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 10:21 AM, Jon Larsen<jon at jonlarsen.us>  wrote:
>
>> On 05/14/2012 02:06 PM, Obi-Wan wrote:
>>
>>> Looking for an hdtv antenna -- I've got an hd homerun showing up today and

>>> Never tried that one, but let us know how it works out.  I'll have to
>>> do a different antenna setup when we move this winter.
>>>
>>> My current setup uses a 2x2' square grid mounted to a post in my attic.
>>> I bought it locally many years ago (before most of the country had ever
>>> yeard of digital TV), so I'm not even sure of the brand.  It works well,
>>> though.  I'm in Lincoln, and it pulls in Omaha stations wondefully.
>>> I had to put an in-line amp up in the attic to combat signal attenuation
>>> by the time the cable snaked down to my basement&   back up to the TV.
>>>

>> Take a look at antennaweb.org.  You can use it to find out the
>> frequencies you need to cover for your location.  The frequencies are color
>> coded, so you only need an antenna that covers those colors.
>>
>> I am in NW Omaha (line of site view of the 72nd and Crown point TV
>> transmitters), so I choose the Winegard HD-1080 and it works great.  I have
>> it installed in the basement utility room at my house and use an inline
>> powered amplifier.  I plan on installing it in the attic someday.  Keep in
>> mind that siding and roof shingles do reduce signal strength for any
>> antenna. Here is a link to the manual.
>>
>> http://www.winegard.com/kbase/**upload/1450510%20%20HD-1080.**pdf<http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/1450510%20%20HD-1080.pdf>
>>
>> You can get it off amazon (like I did) for around $30.
>> Jon L.
>>

> What direction/azimuth do you have it aimed and what channels are you
> picking up?
>
> Since your antenna is so close, why are you using an inline amp?  Are you
> doing whole house distribution or is it the fact that the antenna is in the
> basement and needs a little extra umph?
>
> I am looking forward to integrating it into my myth set up.  The hd homerun
> came in yesterday.  I hooked it up to my existing cox cable to play around
> with it, but won't configure it in myth until I get my antenna set up.  I
> ordered a RCA 751 yesterday and it should be in this week.
>
> Best,
> Jeff

I have the antenna pointed SSE to pull in channel 42, 15, and 26, since
they are south of me.  Since the antenna is in the basement, I used the
amp to increase the signal.  I do have it connected to only two runs of
my house coax - one for each TV (plus mythtv box).

Jon L.

--
Jon H. Larsen  - jon -at- jonlarsen -dot- us
Blog - http://jonlarsen.us/