[olug] HDTV Antenna recommendation

Jon Larsen jon at jonlarsen.us
Tue May 15 15:21:47 UTC 2012

On 05/14/2012 02:06 PM, Obi-Wan wrote:
>>> The Philips Silver Sensor was the king of set-top antennas...
>>> but I'm told it's been discontinued.
>> I'm planning on mounting it in the attic of the garage, from what I've
>> read on line the RCA 751 is getting good reviews.  Anyone use it?  Looks
>> like I'm going to have to order it as I can't find a local source.
> Never tried that one, but let us know how it works out.  I'll have to
> do a different antenna setup when we move this winter.
>
> My current setup uses a 2x2' square grid mounted to a post in my attic.
> I bought it locally many years ago (before most of the country had ever
> yeard of digital TV), so I'm not even sure of the brand.  It works well,
> though.  I'm in Lincoln, and it pulls in Omaha stations wondefully.
> I had to put an in-line amp up in the attic to combat signal attenuation
> by the time the cable snaked down to my basement&  back up to the TV.

Take a look at antennaweb.org.  You can use it to find out the
frequencies you need to cover for your location.  The frequencies are
color coded, so you only need an antenna that covers those colors.

I am in NW Omaha (line of site view of the 72nd and Crown point TV
transmitters), so I choose the Winegard HD-1080 and it works great.  I
have it installed in the basement utility room at my house and use an
inline powered amplifier.  I plan on installing it in the attic
someday.  Keep in mind that siding and roof shingles do reduce signal
strength for any antenna. Here is a link to the manual.

http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/1450510%20%20HD-1080.pdf

You can get it off amazon (like I did) for around $30.
Jon L.