[olug] *nix website hosting / security question

Jordan Fox vmifox at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 01:35:27 UTC 2012

I have a co-worker who's husband's company website (it's his company)
was hacked.  The hacker is continuously loading malware onto the
website.  She's a solaris admin, so she knows a lot about computers.
She's not sure if it was the website that was hacked or the provider.
The provider is Dreamhost.  Her husband has a contract with a company
called Securi (she thinks that's what it's called) to monitor and
remove malware from the website, but they can't keep up with the
hacker.

I'm sending the email to ask if 1) anyone can provide some insight
into the two companies mentioned  - i.e how likely is it that it was
Dreamhost that was hacked and not their website (who's problem is it
and, therefore, who is responsible to fix it)- and 2) her and her
husband are looking to contract with someone to analyse their current
situation to provide, and possibly implement, a solution.

These are all the details that I have.  I know there are some really
knowledgeable people on this list and told her I'd pass along the
above information / requests.  If anyone is interested in helping, let
me know and I'll get you in contact with them.

Thanks,
Jordan

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and
petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the
peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your
hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."  Phil 4:6-7

"The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the
distance between your knees and the floor."  Anonymous