[olug] *nix website hosting / security question

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 01:38:38 UTC 2012

Where they using a common CMS package like Wordpress, Joomla or Drupal?

They're both blessings and curses. They have tons of extensions and are
easy to get something going, but they have known security vulnerabilities
for old versions and are frequently targeted. Just yesterday I was reading
another story that people were compromising old Wordpress sites again to
spread malware.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2012/030712-fake-av-attack-targets-wordpress-257030.html?hpg1=bn

The lesson is to keep your install up to date.