[olug] Parallels pros and cons vs. VMPlayer or VirtualBox

Ben Watson bwatson1979 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 18:51:17 UTC 2012

My buddy convinced his employer to purchase a MacBook Pro with OSX
(obviously) for app development.  He's using Parallels on it to run
Windows and other Linux VMs.  Apparently recent versions of Parallels
have a feature called Coherence Mode that allows applications within
the VMs to be launched within OSX as if they were native OSX
applications.  For example, he's running a Windows VM within OSX but
on the OSX dock there are icons for Word, Outlook, etc.  When
launched, they have the appearance of being native applications (e.g.
in their own application window and not contained within the VM).
Further, I don't think the VM itself actually has to be powered on for
this feature to work.

As much as I loathe Apple products, even I had to admit this was pretty slick.

Ben