[olug] Setting up a MythTV backend system - what's the current recommended way to start?

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Sat Jan 21 16:14:35 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 13:17, dashrender at cox.net <dashrender at cox.net> wrote:
> How are you handling HD content?  Don't you still need a cox box for that?

I'm hoping to ditch the Cox box - part of the reason for all this is
to save the $90 a month we're spending on cable TV.  I've heard that
it is (should?) be possible to use the FireWire interface on the Cox
boxes to pull in the video but when I last tried that a few years ago
it didn't work for me.

The OTA HD content is good enough for us, and watching NetFlix via a
Roku has great quality too.

Last week I wrote up more of the reasons why I'm doing this on my blog
(http://www.linder.org/blog/2012/1/15/cutting-the-cord-not-for-the-faint-of-heart.html)
- for us, it comes down to paying $90+ a month to use the DVR feature
to store OTA shows that we watch.  Even if we bought everything new,
it will pretty much pay for itself in 5-6 months.

Dan

--
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"