[olug] Boot error updating F14 to F16

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Fri Jan 13 17:38:00 UTC 2012

On 01/13/2012 11:33 AM, Obi-Wan wrote:
>> On 01/13/2012 10:59 AM, Obi-Wan wrote:
>>> Last night, I attempted to upgrade my old Dell M1201 laptop from
>>> Fedora 14 to Fedora 16.  Everything went fine at first, and I went
>>> to bed while it was downloading&   installing packages.  When I
>>> awoke this morning, I found this window on the screen:
>>
>> I assume you used preupgrade ?
>
> Yes.
>
>> you can or can't still boot back into f14 at this point?
>
> The first time I booted after the "error installing bootloader"
> dialog, grub gave me the option of my three installed kernels,
> plus the "upgrade" option, which I chose.  Now, my only option
> is to upgrade.

ick.

> Should I try powering off with a fresh power-on?  Or would that
> cause more harm than good by interrupting something?  I'd like
> to salvage the current install and upgrade it if possible.

interrupting what?  is it trying to upgrade again?

> After reading some unrelated hits on a google search, I should
> point out that this is a single-boot machine, Dell hardware,
> no RAID.  The system disk (not the boot disk) is LUKS encrypted,
> but I typed the correct password in when prompted.

OK, based on your description I don't see any known gotchas that apply:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F16_bugs

though, maybe,
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F16_bugs#Upgrade_from_Fedora_14_or_15_to_Fedora_16_with_preupgrade_leaves_bootloader_in_previous_configuration
may apply here, but, if so, I think we're beyond the point of being able
to fix that.

-- rex