[olug] Boot error updating F14 to F16

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Fri Jan 13 17:33:32 UTC 2012

> On 01/13/2012 10:59 AM, Obi-Wan wrote:
>> Last night, I attempted to upgrade my old Dell M1201 laptop from
>> Fedora 14 to Fedora 16.  Everything went fine at first, and I went
>> to bed while it was downloading&  installing packages.  When I
>> awoke this morning, I found this window on the screen:
>
> I assume you used preupgrade ?

Yes.

> you can or can't still boot back into f14 at this point?

The first time I booted after the "error installing bootloader"
dialog, grub gave me the option of my three installed kernels,
plus the "upgrade" option, which I chose.  Now, my only option
is to upgrade.

Should I try powering off with a fresh power-on?  Or would that
cause more harm than good by interrupting something?  I'd like
to salvage the current install and upgrade it if possible.

After reading some unrelated hits on a google search, I should
point out that this is a single-boot machine, Dell hardware,
no RAID.  The system disk (not the boot disk) is LUKS encrypted,
but I typed the correct password in when prompted.

--
Ben "Obi-Wan" Hollingsworth    obiwan at jedi.com    PrairieRimImages.com