[olug] Email a report on SSH

Lou Duchez lou at paprikash.com
Fri Apr 20 16:22:11 UTC 2012

You probably want to look into Fail2Ban.  It monitors your logs for
failed login attempts from a given IP (usually a certain number in a
given span), and then responds as you tell it to: it can (temporarily or
permanently) block that IP for port 22, it can send you an E-Mail, it
can do both.  I haven't ever tried to make Fail2ban cough up failed
login details, but maybe there's a way to do that.

I don't consider a server tolerably secure until I've got Fail2Ban going
for SSH, FTP, POP3, IMAP, SMTP, and even SquirrelMail.

How it works: Fail2Ban monitors the logs you specify and looks for the
regular expressions you specify (not to worry, it comes with a bunch of
examples you can flip on).  If it needs to block a port, it adds an
entry to iptables on the fly.