[olug] Android phone backup question

George De Bruin sndchaser at gmail.com
Fri May 13 17:52:20 UTC 2011

I'll second the recommendation for Titanium Backup.

I'd also like to know how you like the Droid X?  I've been torn for some
time between upgrading to a Droid 2 or a Droid X.  The hardware (processor,
memory, etc.) is mostly identical.  The differences are the Droid 2 has a
keyboard, and Droid X has a larger screen (with the same resolution), from
what I see...  Was there any specific deciding factor for you?

George

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 9:45 AM, Dan Linder <dan at linder.org> wrote:

> I've finally entered the smart-phone era and recently got a Droid X.
>
> When I activated the phone, I tied it to my "dan at linder.org" account - a
> Google Apps hosted e-mail domain and things have worked fairly well.  I
> have
> been able to install apps via the on-phone Android and Amazon marketplace
> apps.
>
> Unfortunately, using a non "@gmail.com" e-mail address seems to have it's
> own set of problems.  For instance, when I use my computer to browse to the
> Android market place it won't let me login with the @linder.org account,
> and
> my gmail address isn't associated with a device...
>
> From what I read, I need to re-associate my phone with the
> @gmail.comaddress, but that requires a factory reset.  When I do that,
> I'll loose my
> purchased apps... :-(
>
> I am going to write the support lines for the purchased apps providers to
> see if they can move the app, but my main question is this:
>
> Is there a way to backup the apps on my droid, then re-install them after
> I've reset it?  Is the installation "apk" file stored on the phone
> somewhere
> that I can use, or is there more to the app installation process?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Dan
>
> --
> "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
>    (Who can watch the watchmen?)
>    -- from the Satires of Juvenal
> "I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them."
>    -- Isaac Asimov (Author)

---
Faster moments spent spread tales of change within the sound...