[olug] smart phones recs / Linux integration

Benjamin Watson bwatson1979 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 13:36:02 UTC 2011

I'm still clinging to my 1st gen Moto Droid and love the thing,
especially after rooting and installing custom ROMs to it.  I've got
custom kernels in it to support overclocking (up to 1.25GHz) for
performance and underclocking (down to 250MHz) for battery life (stock
is 550MHz I believe).

In terms of "using it with Linux", obviously the Android OS is derived
from Linux, so it works well with my other boxes in my house, not that
I actually physically connect my phone to any of my machines very
often.  Typically I'll use my phone to remote control my Myth
frontends, VNC/ssh into my Linux boxes and the like.  It is amazing
how lazy you can get with a phone like this in your pocket with
respect to remote admin.  Sometimes that keyboard way across the room
(all of 20 feet) just seems too far away when you're watching some TV.

I imagine most of the things I described can be accomplished with a
jailbroken iPhone.

Ben