[olug] smart phones recs / Linux integration

George De Bruin sndchaser at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 15:08:09 UTC 2011

As mentioned the other day - buying HTC is paying for Microsoft's
mafia-style activities (okay that's my opinion/spin...well, not just mine:
http://www.osnews.com/story/24800/Microsoft_Earns_More_from_Android_than_Windows_Phone_7).
 But, I also had bad luck with a non-Android HTC device (randomly dropped
calls, random reboots, lockups, etc. which I blame on the OS on the device
-- guess which OS....<g>).

I love my original Droid.  It has served me very well, even un-rooted.  I
like Motorola devices physically.  They tend to feel more solid and better
constructed than other devices.  Battery life for my Droid is actually
pretty good: 2-3 days with a full charge on the standard battery.  The only
trick is making sure to turn off the GPS and Bluetooth when not in use, and
using a few simple tweaks (like turning down the display brightness).

The only real negative regarding the Motorola devices: the boot loader is
locked down.  HTC recently announced that they would unlock theirs.

So, despite the locked down boot loader, I go with Motorola...until I find a
reason to not go with them.  I'm due for an upgrade of phones - and I'm
still trying to decide what to go with...  Which actually brings me to a
different question that I'll put out to everyone in a little bit...

George

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 10:40 PM, Eric P <eric.maillist at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm finally getting around to really wanting a smart phone.
>
> I stopped by Verizon today and saw a ton of Android models I've never heard
> of.  I'm also open to an iPhone, but I know
> there's no official software support for Linux and I get the feeling that
> Linux iPhone support (from the open source
> community) is maybe not all there.  I could be wrong.
>
> Can anyone tell me their experience using an iPhone 4 on Linux?  What can I
> expect to work and what doesn't work?
>
> And for Android devices is there anything I can't do under Linux that the
> "lesser" OSes can do?  Anyone have an Android
> device that they believe is hands down awesome?
>
> Thanks for any input...
> Eric

---
Faster moments spent spread tales of change within the sound...