[olug] streaming media

aric at omahax.com aric at omahax.com
Wed Dec 7 20:53:38 UTC 2011

I think I posted about this topic on this list in the past.

6? or so years ago I used PicoStreamer on a hostgator account.
http://www.vinz486.com/portal/index.php?ind=pico

The php hosts adds on the management page but you can get rid of them....
It is a tad obfuscated but not terribly difficult to figure out.

I made a few post on the PicoStreamer forums of tricks I did to make
PicoStreamer work better but their forums look down.

Hostgators TOS in a way sort of allows for it by saying "more than one or
two streams"

http://www.hostgator.com/tos/tos.php

"Commercial Audio Streaming (more than one or two streams)"

For S&Gs I put a live stream on my no longer existent MySpace page for
about a year without a problem.

If you find that you have more users than that can handle you could
cluster multiple $3.96 a month hosting accounts with a simple round robin
script that selects the stream server on the page presented to the
guest.... a 10 server cluster would be less than $40 a month :)

....else if you are not that ghetto tech I recommend putting a box in a
cheap data center like Joe's Datacenter in KC.