[olug] Basic cheap local hosting?

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 18:43:42 UTC 2011

I tried Qwest DSL briefly because my friend was selling it. I never got it
working at home.

If I plugged their DSL modem directly into my computer, it worked. Through
my router it wouldn't. So I checked Google, and apparently Qwest uses
PPPoE, and I needed to configure the PPPoE credentials in my router. So I
contacted Qwest and they kept swearing up and down that Qwest doesn't use
PPPoE and there were no credentials, except I could see in my DSL modem's
configuration where there credentials were saved. I just couldn't see the
password.

I fought with their support for a month. They insisted they didn't support
people using home routers, and I also made the mistake of saying Linux when
they asked me to do Windows troubleshooting. Then they stated definitively
that they do not support Linux computers connecting to their internet. They
refused to speak to me about getting my router working.

I never got it working fighting with their support for a month since they
refused to give me the PPPoE credentials. And I believe where I live, they
are the only DSL option.

On top of that, it is considerably slower than the similarly priced Cox
offering.

I do get really fast downloads from Cox. My wife and I were both
downloading the 38 GB SW:TOR clients at once and each were getting 2.0MB a
second downloads.