[olug] [OT]: Researcher's Video Shows Secret Software on Millions of Phones Logging Everything

Dave Weis djweis at internetsolver.com
Thu Dec 1 00:56:55 UTC 2011

The carriers don't need to capture your text messages on the handset, the messages have been passed through multiple devices capable of keeping copies instead of using a 3rd party app on the handset.

I don't think the creator of the video understood the difference between logging a requested URL and data encrypted via https. Google queries show the query string in the URL and that's the data that was logged with a https prefix. If he had gone to a hotmail or gmail page, it wouldn't have listed the full text of each email or reply in the URL.

It would have been easier to gauge the level of anger if the discoverer had posted a packet capture or some indication of what actually left the handset instead of debugging messages.