[olug] Apparent Java issues in a recent installation

Thomas D. Williamson twilliam at inebraska.com
Sun Sep 26 23:07:07 UTC 2010

I installed OpenSuSE 11.3 on an older Pentium machine, with 256MB EEC
memory. There were some issues with the installation so it took a
couple of tries to get what appeared to be a clean install. Now I
suspect it wasn't complete. Something is not working with Java
correctly. This first came up when I tried to use the No Script Add-on
to Firefox.  When I would click to temporarily allow some java scripts
to run on a web page, I would get kicked off and the system would come
back as if I had logged off. When I disabled No Script everything runs
fine. I have Ghostery running and this seems to be running fine.

The second thing that happened is when I opened Open Office. When I
open a document in the Writer, there is a pop up box that warns me
there is no JRE available for Open Office to use. This will happen
anywhere from five to seven times before opening the document and
running normally. I went out and install a JRE. When I opened Open
Office Writer again I got the same messages.

I found the Java console and had it search for JREs and found three
instances of JREs on the system.

Is there something that needs to be uninstalled and reinstalled to get
this fixed?

Thanks,

Tom Williamson