[olug] Web Server, MySQL and security

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 19:11:37 UTC 2010

I've always gone through hosting companies, and I may be building a web
server box. Is there a nice checklist of security concerns for someone
building largely their first LAMP box?

Specifically for a low-bandwidth site, I'm pretty sure any server I throw at
it will be overkill from a CPU and RAM perspective. I imagine disk I/O on
all the SQL calls are going to be my only bottleneck, if I have one.

Could I mount a partition directly into RAM to get fast SQL reads, but then
replicate that data back to physical disc? Can I do that with the actual web
site files as well?

I know you can do that with commercial offerings like TimesTen, but I wasn't
sure if I could do that with MySQL out-of-the-box.

-- T. J.
"I'm questioning my education
Rewind and what does it show?
Could be, the truth it becomes you