[olug] opensolaris.......

Todd Wittenmeier magitoddw at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 00:52:02 UTC 2010

OpenIndiana is also another OpenSolaris based system to look into, from my
understanding there will be this Solaris "Light" or basic or some garbage
that won't be opensource coming from Oracle to "replace" OpenSolaris, but
meh..

I liked playing with it a few times but never found a good fit for it in my
life professionally or personally

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 4:24 PM, Dan Linder <dan at linder.org> wrote:

> I've used OpenSolaris and really like it, but not more than a Linux system.
>
> > Why might someone be interested in looking at them as opposed to Linux or
> *BSD?
>
> If someone is coming from the Solaris side but wants to work on cheaper
> hardware and still have the "Solaris Experience" that they are use to, it's
> a great choice.
>
> I know of a few long-time Solaris admins who've setup OpenSolaris as a home
> server using ZFS.  As a NAS with the expansion capabilities of a Drobo,
> it's
> a good choice.
>
> > Is Oracle hurting the future of Solaris?
>
> Can't say, but to me it looks like they have a full clip and are aiming to
> shoot themselves in the foot with the switch set to full auto...
>
> :-(
>
> Dan
>
> On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 15:55, Tim Larson <thelarsons3 at cox.net> wrote:
>
> > Has anybody here worked with OpenSolaris/Illumos/etc?  Why might someone
> be
> > interested in looking at them as opposed to (more popular/common) Linux
> or
> > *BSD?
> >
> > Is Oracle hurting the future of Solaris?
> >

> > Curious,
> > Tim

> "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
>    (Who can watch the watchmen?)
>    -- from the Satires of Juvenal
> "I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them."
>    -- Isaac Asimov (Author)

-Todd