[olug] opensolaris.......

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Fri Nov 19 22:24:48 UTC 2010

I've used OpenSolaris and really like it, but not more than a Linux system.

> Why might someone be interested in looking at them as opposed to Linux or
*BSD?

If someone is coming from the Solaris side but wants to work on cheaper
hardware and still have the "Solaris Experience" that they are use to, it's
a great choice.

I know of a few long-time Solaris admins who've setup OpenSolaris as a home
server using ZFS.  As a NAS with the expansion capabilities of a Drobo, it's
a good choice.

> Is Oracle hurting the future of Solaris?

Can't say, but to me it looks like they have a full clip and are aiming to
shoot themselves in the foot with the switch set to full auto...

:-(

Dan