[olug] [OT] CPU upgrade comments?

Kevin D. Snodgrass kdsnodgrass at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 3 18:11:17 UTC 2010

--- On Wed, 11/3/10, Dan Linder <dan at linder.org> wrote:
> I'm looking to update my current
> system.  The motherboard supports a AMD AM3
> CPU, so I'm looking to move from my old AMD X2 3000 CPU to
> an AMD Phenom II
> X4 965 CPU.  (NewEgg:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727)
>
> Before I pull the trigger and purchase it, is there a
> better
> bang-for-the-buck option I should look at?

Not going to beat it by much.  Here are two at MWave:

Two more cores, slower speed:
AMD HDT55TFBGRBOX PHENOM II X6 1055T PROCESSOR 2800MHZ 9MB (6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3) AM3 125W Processor
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch_v3.asp?scriteria=BD11389&pagetitle=AMD%20HDT55TFBGRBOX%20PHENOM%20II%20X6%201055T%20PROCESSOR%202800MHZ

Slightly slower (.2GHz), but cheaper!:
AMD HDZ955FBGMBOX Phenom II X4 quad core 955 3.2ghz black edition processor w/8mb cache 125w 64-bit socket am3 retail boxed w/ cooling fan
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch_v3.asp?scriteria=BD11182&pagetitle=AMD%20HDZ955FBGMBOX%20Phenom%20II%20X4%20quad%20core%20955%203.2ghz%20bla

Also note that the second one includes cooling fan, which is worth US$20+.

Kevin D. Snodgrass