[olug] Backup solutions

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Fri Jun 25 02:43:54 UTC 2010

I've seen a Drobo in action and it's really a nice solution if it fits your
bandwidth requirements.  Their smaller "Drobo FS"  ($1000 @ NewEgg) holds 5
drives (up to 2TB each), and their "Drobo Elite" ($3500.00 @ NewEgg) has
support for eight drives.

If you stick with the cheaper 1TB SATA drives ($75/each at NewEgg) in the
"Drobo FS", that gives you just over 6TB of usable space to use, and you can
hot upgrade the drives to 2TB as time and budget permit.

The have an interactive sizing tool:
   Elite: http://drobo.com/calculator/droboelite/index.php
   FS: http://www.drobo.com/calculator/drobo-s/index.php

Disclaimer: I haven't used them in production, but I have heard a lot of
good things about them.

Dan