[olug] Backup solutions

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Thu Jun 24 21:43:21 UTC 2010

> You can get a cheap NAS off-site and rsync nightly. You can also pay a
> vendor to do nightly online backups.

Buying lots of NAS devices, one for every day for which we need an
archival backup, is cost prohibitive.  Copying multiple TB over the
wire off site will not happen in a single evening.

Then again, you can get a desktop external enclosure holding two 2TB
drives for not much money.  I wonder how many archives we keep and
how long we keep them...

> You can buy a tape drive and rotate tons of tapes. You have several options
> and different budget levels.

The backup must run unattended over night.  Tape rotation requires
an autoloader, which is not out of the question, but requires a
supported hardware solution.  I'm soliciting suggestions for supported
hardware/software solutions.