[olug] Backup solutions

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 22:26:17 UTC 2010

Just to throw my two cents into it..

I've had good luck with rsnapshot.  It's an incrementalish rsync based
backup thing that uses hard links to reduce the space requirements for
unchanged files across however many incremental histories ya want.

Working across NFS / SMB shares is probably painful with rsync that has to
mount these shares... as ya have to transfer the contents of each file
across the network for the local rsync to cooperate.  I guess as long as
you're not running win98, having rsync daemon's on each of the 'client'
machines (to be backed up) is a good solution.

-Will