[olug] simple alternative to mod_rewrite?

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Wed Jan 6 23:06:19 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 10:33 AM, neal rauhauser <nrauhauser at gmail.com> wrote:
>   We've outsourced our web hosting to an unresponsive vendor and one of our
> (intentionally) dwindling set of customers moved to using a blogspot blog
> ... and now they're furious that we can't simply 'point' their domain to
> this new location. I have control of DNS, I have a bare Apache 2.2, and I'm
> hearing that using mod_rewrite is a one liner ... but getting it going is a
> half day job for someone who has done it previously.

If you manage the DNS, blogspot/blogger does support custom domains.
The easiest solution might be to point their domain to the blogspot
blog.  See here for more information:

http://www.google.com/support/blogger/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=55373

>   Can anyone suggest a simple package for taking a single incoming request
> to a web server port on an otherwise unused machine and directing it
> elsewhere? Perhaps this is a netcat problem ...

I don't know of a simple package for doing redirects, but using
mod_rewrite really isn't all that difficult, especially for a simple
case such as this.  With some details of your apache setup, We can
probably provide the config bits you need.  It's basically just a
matter of installing/enabling mod_rewrite (probably already installed
with Apache), and putting the right couple of lines (usually in an
.htaccess file).

--
Christopher