[olug] simple alternative to mod_rewrite?

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 22:24:35 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 10:33 AM, neal rauhauser <nrauhauser at gmail.com> wrote:
>   We've outsourced our web hosting to an unresponsive vendor and one of our
> (intentionally) dwindling set of customers moved to using a blogspot blog
> ... and now they're furious that we can't simply 'point' their domain to
> this new location. I have control of DNS, I have a bare Apache 2.2, and I'm
> hearing that using mod_rewrite is a one liner ... but getting it going is a
> half day job for someone who has done it previously.
>

>   Can anyone suggest a simple package for taking a single incoming request
> to a web server port on an otherwise unused machine and directing it
> elsewhere? Perhaps this is a netcat problem ...
>

> --
> mailto:Neal at layer3arts.com //
> GoogleTalk: nrauhauser at gmail.com
> GV: 202-642-1717

There are many ways to solve this, but i am not a aware of a package.
One.  Here is your index.html
  <head>
  </head>

second.  Since you have control of dns, aliasing will work.  i believe
you want to stay away from cloaking however.  NoScript and some of the
recent security patches may very well complain especially if the real
blogger.com dns name is cloaked with something else.

Either way, this may not be exactly what your customer wants because
the end user reader doesn't see the domain name in the address bar.
Is that why you wanted a package?