[olug] Trixbox/Asterisk call quality

jay swackhamer reboottheuser at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 02:36:32 UTC 2010

This is not going over the internet(as far as I know, will need to get more
details on the env), its supposed to be cox voice trunk->cisco call
manager->trixbox.........
On Dec 30, 2010 8:05 PM, "Shawn L. Djernes" <shawn at djernes.org> wrote:
> Your app_queue version is the same as Asterisk.
>
> The usual cause for this problem is to due with your upstream bandwidth
from your Internet provider.

> If you ate using G.711 that it roughly uses 80k per call between the data
and packet header. Ten calls plus other traffic can overwhelm a 1M upstream
pipe from Cox. Using QOS will improve things, but the best option is to
increase the upstream connection speed.

> If audio quality is not very important, you can see if your carrier
supports smaller codecs like GSM or G.729. G.729 requires paying a license
fee but it's sound quality is midrange between G.711 and GSM. It uses about
16k per call.

> Hope this helps.
>
> ---
> Shawn L. Djernes
>
> On Dec 30, 2010, at 16:12, jay swackhamer <reboottheuser at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Asterisk 1.6.0.9-samy-r27
>>
>> Where do I find the app_queue version?
>>
>> Garbled in music-on-hold is what I've been told
>>
>> SIP
>>
>> Someone on-site that has experienced the problem is listening to the
clips
>> to relay the information about what they hear.
>>

>> On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 3:49 PM, Brian Roberson <roberson at olug.org>
wrote:

>>> we need details!
>>>
>>> 1) version of asterisk?
>>> 2) version of app_queue?
>>> 3) Garbled to agent or to caller or both?
>>> 4) codec in use?
>>> 5) ingress call leg is TDM or SIP to asterisk?
>>> 6) are you *sure* it is garbled audio? please listen to these clips to
make

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk698/technologies_white_paper09186a00801545e4.shtml