[olug] Trixbox/Asterisk call quality

Shawn L. Djernes shawn at djernes.org
Fri Dec 31 01:56:38 UTC 2010

Your app_queue version is the same as Asterisk.

The usual cause for this problem is to due with your upstream bandwidth from your Internet provider.

If you ate using G.711 that it roughly uses 80k per call between the data and packet header. Ten calls plus other traffic can overwhelm a 1M upstream pipe from Cox. Using QOS will improve things, but the best option is to increase the upstream connection speed.

If audio quality is not very important, you can see if your carrier supports smaller codecs like GSM or G.729. G.729 requires paying a license fee but it's sound quality is midrange between G.711 and GSM. It uses about 16k per call.

Hope this helps.

---
Shawn L. Djernes