[olug] [ot] not sure on the details

Kevin D. Snodgrass kdsnodgrass at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 2 19:35:56 UTC 2010

--- On Thu, 12/2/10, Dan Linder <dan at linder.org> wrote:
> If they want to retain all post-sale rights to the hardware
> (i.e. a rental),
> then why do I have to pay when my XBox gets the
> red-ring-of-death?
>
> Change the item in question to a car; either a rental from
> Avis/National/Dollar/etc, or purchased from
> Ford/Honda/Toyota/Chrysler.
>  * If the engine explodes while I'm driving the rental (not
> hot-rodding,
> etc), they have to repair it, not me.
>  * If it's a purchased car, then the warranty period kicks
> in and I or they
> pay depending on the time-frame.
>  * If I've done serious and non-reversible modifications,
> then I'm totally
> on the hook for the cost.
>
> So, once past the 90-day Microsoft warranty, I pay for the
> RRoD repair,
> correct?  (I'm not an XBox owner.)  I know if my
> computer CPU burns up on
> day 91 of the 90-day warranty, I have to buy another $300
> CPU since I "own"
> the computer.  Why don't I "own" the XBox?
>
> Am I missing something?

Yes, a car isn't covered by the DMCA.  This is entirely an RIAA, MPAA and probably some software business group enforcement thing.  Can't let us hackers bypass their encryption since we "might" just violate copyright law and share _Eat, Pray, Love_* with all our friends.

(*) Note:  This may not be a realistic example. :-)

Kevin D. Snodgrass