[olug] Backup server options

Charles Bird cbird.omaha at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 03:21:38 UTC 2010

Opensource remote backup, I'd say backula, I believe(last time i checked)
there was windows binaries for agents, although I think the director has to
be linux. Destination can be one various windows targets though.

Otherwise, Symantec BESR is pretty nice(kinda pricy) but can do bare metal
restores onto different hardware for windows machines. I have alot of
experience with BESR, and if everything is under a domain controller I have
a script to create the directories with permission, share, UNC path
names....I know of a guy that has bigger better scripts for it, but I cant
get ahold of them and it was quite the hack to get his to work with the
director, it created and added jobs in the director and made the
shares(amazing!)
A few of you on the list know who and what I'm talking about ;)