[olug] Wireless bridge

Abraham Serafino abrahams at teknohazard.com
Wed May 20 15:57:14 UTC 2009

Well it seems that, thanks to you folks, I've made some progress. I managed
to get into the bridge from Windows XP; I had to reset it, reboot my (XP)
laptop, and use the driver CD to run the discovery tool. Then I set my own
laptop to a static IP within the same subnet and had to reboot again, ...
when I came back up I could get into the bridge to configure my wifi
settings. I set it up to get it's IP via DHCP from the wireless router (it
has a DHCP client running on it, according to the page I got to; it had a
checkbox along the lines of "Click to enable DHCP client") , then
rebooted... lost my connection to the bridge. Then I changed my laptop's
static IP back to something on the same subnet as the router, and I found my
bridge in that subnet using the discovery tool.

And that's where I'm stuck. I know I"m getting an IP address from the
router, and if I disable my wired network and turn on my wireless card, I
can get onto the wireless network, but I can't get out through the bridge,
even as far as the wireless router. (My router is on 192.168.0.1, and my
bridge is on 192.168.0.6, or whatever IP it happens to have assigned to it.
Visiting 192.168.0.6 in my browser brings up the embedded webserver on the
bridge, but visiting 192.168.0.1 or an external address such as
google.comyields a connection time-out.) I tried changing my IP
settings in Windows
back, to get an IP address through DHCP, but that caused me to lose my
connection to the bridge again. It seems I can only connect when my IP
address is a static address in the 192.168.0.* range.

I suspect that this could be an authentication problem, ... or maybe I need
a hub after all? Should I be setting my default gateway to the address of
the bridge, or the address of the router? (Neither seems to work). How about
my DNS server?

I know this is turning into a Windows question, but the main idea is to get
this thing plugged into my Linux box in the basement, eventually.

P.S. I tried contacting technical support, they're only open during business
hours, and my work situation is not commodious to making personal calls! :)