[olug] Win 7 and Samba

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 00:09:47 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 1:01 PM, DYNATRON tech <dynatron at gmail.com> wrote:
> i have had many problems with smb in ubuntu over the years. it was fixed in
> 9.04, but still sucked generally.
>
> if you need a good smb client for linux, i recommend smb4k.

When not running mount -t cifs, i too have had better luck with KDE
when it comes to accessing windows shares.  There are issues with
gnome's gvfs stuff not getting installed.   Nautilus stopped giving me
a choice of connecting to a windows share.  After installing gvfs-smb
and some other things, it came back and it worked fine.  Recommend yum
search gvfs and then yum info gvfs-smb and analyze for missing
packages.   The stand alone package gigolo and tuxcmd-gvfs also helped
in testing.    Things are working but i may try removing gnome-vfs2-*
packages as i think they may be deprecated.

> as far as serving, i hate to say it, but that's what i use my only windows
> box for.
>

> On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 12:23 AM, T. J. Brumfield <enderandrew at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> No, I'm using openSUSE 11.2, but I wonder if they're having the same
>> problem. Both would likely be using a very new build of Samba 3.x
>>
>> -- T. J.

enable ntlmv2 everywhere for services and clients.