[olug] Looking for pre-built Linux desktops

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Wed Aug 5 01:16:57 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 22:32, Joe Gulizia<jrguliz at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Boss was talking moving me to Windows....cheaper, easier to find
> machines.  Standardization  BS.

If I were you, right after I got it I'd install the Linux distro of my
choice.  Once that is on, then setup VirtualBox (or VMWare Workstation
if you have a license) and re-setup WinXP inside the VM instance.

You can still use the Linux OS and be more productive, but when the
boss asks you to run the latest Microsoft-only app, just fire up the
WinXP session and run it there.

I was doing that until recently with my laptop (3.5 years actually)
and it worked wonderfully.  The benefit is that I could backup the VM
disk images very easily and when WinXP decided to commit suicide, I
could just restore the image and I was back up and running.  (Rsync to
an rsync server on the network has great speed, BTW)

And I never had a problem installing WinXP and getting it
re-activated.  And technically it was still running on the exact same
hardware. :-)

DanL

--