[olug] Chrome

Luke -Jr luke at dashjr.org
Thu Sep 4 00:57:35 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 03 September 2008 13:46:43 T. J. Brumfield wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 12:54 PM, Luke -Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:
> > Really? I haven't seen a single one, other than Google Earth which
> > supported Linux before Google bought it.
>
> I run Picasa, Google Gears, and Google Earth just fine on Linux, all
> with official Linux support.

Picasa is just WINE; Google Earth was just a product/company named KeyHole
that Google bought-- its Linux support predates Google. One of the guys in the
Chrome IRC channel did point out Gears and Desktop for Linux.

> > That's okay. It's got nothing special or innovative after all.
>
> Wow.  You obviously didn't read the comic.  V8 is pretty huge in and
> of itself,

I did give V8 mention to its credit, but it's merely a performance
improvement, not really innovative of itself. Also, it only works on 32-bit
x86 and ARM.

> but each tab is a separate process, and each function within the tab is a
> separate process.  It makes reclaiming memory much easier to do.

It uses a lot more memory, at least in theory. And by "reclaiming memory" in
this context, you must mean "ignoring memory leaks"; there is no benefit of
having multiple processes if the code is otherwise okay.

> The browser is also really big on sandboxing, and approaches the web with a
> sane security model.

This is again only a problem with bugs. Why not fix the bugs instead of
catching them at runtime?

> The separate process thing is also a big deal for me, since I loathe how the
> entire process hangs on one request (be it network, javacsript, etc).

That depends on the browser, I suppose, and is only a problem with bad design.
Konqueror certainly doesn't hang on network or Javascript.

> The comic also suggests you'll easily be able to check out the sub-processes
> and monitor them to check for CPU and memory usage. Incredibly innovative
> and useful there.

Yes, this might be a real benefit to advanced users.