[olug] Chrome

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 20:26:00 UTC 2008

> As for the Javascript and CSS coders out there, if Google sticks to the
> specs for both there shouldn't be any issues.  If there are specific
> places where Chrome is out of spec on either then bugs should be filed.
>
>    Sam Tetherow
>    Sandhills Wireless

Webkit is about as standards-compliant as you can get with CSS.
Javascript is another story because javascript is extended all over
the place without any good central standards to point to.  V8 is also
new enough that there are likely to be some issues/bugs that need to
be ironed out there.  Honestly, the javascript issues I am most
worried about stem from Gmail, which I'm pretty sure Chrome will
support fairly well.  Other than that, I prefer most of my sites to
rely on php/perl, etc. and keep javascript largely out of my browser.

I made the mistake of trying out IE8 beta 1 (which wouldn't uninstall
on XP SP3).  It was horrifically slow.  It was a mammoth memory hog.
The "standards compliant mode" got something like a 37% score on
ACID2, and IE7 mode couldn't render pages that did load correctly in
IE7.  The only new features worth noting seemed lifted straight from
Flock, and allowed you to easily access web services such as blogging.

Honestly, I'm a little shocked that Chrome hasn't veered a little into
that direction, but probably they want to avoid any anti-trust talk of
bundling Google web-services on top of their API in their browser,
especially after how much they bitched about IE defaulting to Live
Search.

-- T. J.