[olug] Chrome

Sam Tetherow tetherow at shwisp.net
Wed Sep 3 20:15:54 UTC 2008

I've used it for a day or so and it seems pretty fast in comparison and
the general feel is nice.  Not sure what all the sour grapes are about...

A large corporation has developed what appears to be a pretty complete
browser based on webkit and a nice javascript engine and released it
under the BSD license.  I don't see where people have anything to bitch
about.  Don't like it, don't use it.  Something nice in it, take it out
and reuse it, it isn't even GPL encumbered.

As for the blog post, it seems like the author has an issue with
marketing more than anything.  Not sure on IE8's timeline or even the
timeline of Chrome, but to say, IE8 already has a feature seems a bit
much considering IE8 is still Beta 2.

As for the Javascript and CSS coders out there, if Google sticks to the
specs for both there shouldn't be any issues.  If there are specific
places where Chrome is out of spec on either then bugs should be filed.

    Sam Tetherow
    Sandhills Wireless