[olug] Determining cores and sockets on Linux...

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Thu Nov 20 22:31:46 UTC 2008

I've been tasked with coming up with a way to count the number of sockets
and cores we have running our Linux environment (mostly SuSE ES9, but some
older RedHat).

My first check of /proc/cpuinfo just reports 0..4 if it's a single
socket/quad-core CPU, or a dual socket motherboard with populated with two
dual-core Xeon CPUs.

I had hoped that there would be something usable in the /proc/acpi/ tree,
but that isn't proving consistent either.

Aside from making a huge table of CPUs and keeping track of their
single/dual/quad/{more} core status, and then dividing by the total number
of "processors" as reported in /proc/cpuinfo, does anyone have a more
reliable way?

Dan

--
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" (Who can watch the watchmen?) -- from the
Satires of Juvenal