[olug] Linksys router Vulnerability

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Wed Mar 12 06:54:53 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 1:14 AM, DYNATRON tech <dynatron at gmail.com> wrote:
> what problems have you had with them, luke?

I think Luke is refering to the fact that starting with the v5 WRT54G
Linksys moved from a Linux based firmware to a minimal embedded
VxWorks OS.  At the same time, they cut the RAM and flash in half
(16MB of RAM to 8GMB of RAM, 4MB of flash to 2MB of flash).  This made
the custom firmware projects like OpenWRT and such unusable (at least
initially, a couple of them managed to release stripped down, less
functional, variants for the v5 on).

On the plus side, Linksys released the WRT54GL shortly after the v5
WRT54G was released.  The L variant is basically just a renamed v4
WRT54G sold to keep those wishing to run custom firmware happy (the
'L' allegedly stands for Linux).  It's a small thing, but I was quite
impressed when Linksys did this, as I expect that the number of people
who really loaded custom firmware (of which I am one) is an extremely
small part of their WRT54G customer base.

--
Christopher