[olug] OT: more Hans goodness

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 14:55:10 UTC 2008

> I'd say completely unrelated... but such drivers (for Linux, anyhow) are
> illegal (in the same way 'warez' are). Of course, like 'warez' also, it's the
> uploader who is infringing, not the user or downloader.

Not necessarily illegal, unless you pirated a copy of, say, OSS sound
tech's linux audio driver back in the 2.0/2.2 days.  I actually bought
a valid license for my Ensoniq Audio PCI (sb128/es1370 based card
before Creative bought them).... this was a year(s) or so before
OSS/ALSA had a driver.

And... as far as warez, IANAL, but I believe it might be possible to
charge the downloader with receiving blatantly stolen goods :).

-Will