[olug] OT: more Hans goodness

William Langford unfies at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 09:01:25 UTC 2008

Hate top post but.... Heh

Attempting to claim the ABI can't be reverse engineered is silly.
Hardware hackers have clean roomed lots of nasty stuff. If a company
would be interested in doing so is doubtful, however.

As an elaboration, I'm not completely sold... Either. I'm not sure if
a new module fits the description or not.

In terms of legality, what many (prominent or not) developers think
doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

While Greg K-H's attempt to solve the issue is admirable... "trust me
I talked to anonymous clueful people" is less than convincing.

I'd really prefer giving the 'part excluded' vs 'whole included'
paragraph another once over once I'm more awake. It seems dubious to
say an individual part isn't bound but then to immediately claim the
whole work is bound. Both can not be true. The only cut dry way I see
a binary driver as breach is if they license the wrapper GPL direct
without viral requirement.

For the record, I'm unsure of my position on the matter, as if my
opinion matters heh.

Sent from my iPhone