[olug] VNC w/Qwest

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Fri Oct 19 15:32:15 UTC 2007

>>> I don't think DHCP servers are required to maintain databases.
>>
>> They must maintain state of some sort. According to the DHCP RFC, they
>> should remember previous and current binding information across a server
>> restart. This is so a client can be reassigned the same IP address when
>> possible.
>
> Seeing as clients are supposed to include their current/old IP address in
> their request (or at least, the IP they'd prefer to use), that reason at
> least doesn't make sense.

It's the latter, not the former.  Assuming the client requests an IP that's
currently available (regardless of whether it previously had the requested
IP), the server will give it out.  And what of the case of brand new clients
which have never had an IP before and know nothing of which subnet on which
they sit?  The DHCP server needs to know which IP it can safely recommend
that the client use, which requires that it keep its own internal list.