[olug] VNC w/Qwest

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Thu Oct 18 14:03:46 UTC 2007

> I don't think DHCP servers are required to maintain databases.

Sure they are.  That's how they know which addresses are available
to be handed out.

> Either way, there is probably not a database entry for a server that doesn't
> get its address via DHCP.

That's correct.  That's why DNS and DHCP typically work hand in hand,
and why IPAM (IP Address Management) solutions are all the rage at
large organizations.

> Also the case when there are multiple DHCP servers
> operating independently.

When two DHCP servers both operate in the same IP space, they must
know about each other and their their database.  This functionality
is built into the ISC DHCP server to handle redundant pairs.