[olug] VNC w/Qwest

Sean Kelly smkelly at zombie.org
Thu Oct 18 13:32:07 UTC 2007

On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 01:35:28AM -0500, Luke -Jr wrote:
> I don't think DHCP servers are required to maintain databases.

They must maintain state of some sort. According to the DHCP RFC, they
should remember previous and current binding information across a server
restart. This is so a client can be reassigned the same IP address when
possible.

> Either way, there is probably not a database entry for a server that doesn't
> get its address via DHCP. Also the case when there are multiple DHCP servers
> operating independently.

Multiple DHCP servers operating independently on the same network can be
messy. It isn't impossible depending on the configuration, but it could be
very troublesome.

As far as ICMP echo and unknown clients go, ISC's DHCP server handles this
by optionally sending out an ICMP echo before assigning an IP address. If
it receives an echo reply, it marks that address as abandoned in its lease
database. It will then only attempt to reuse that address when it has
exhausted its supply of addresses for that pool/subnet.

--
Sean Kelly          | PGP KeyID: D2E5E296
smkelly at smkelly.org | http://www.smkelly.org