[olug] VNC w/Qwest

Luke -Jr luke at dashjr.org
Thu Oct 18 16:09:31 UTC 2007

On Thursday 18 October 2007, Sean Kelly wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 01:35:28AM -0500, Luke -Jr wrote:
> > I don't think DHCP servers are required to maintain databases.
>
> They must maintain state of some sort. According to the DHCP RFC, they
> should remember previous and current binding information across a server
> restart. This is so a client can be reassigned the same IP address when
> possible.

Seeing as clients are supposed to include their current/old IP address in
their request (or at least, the IP they'd prefer to use), that reason at
least doesn't make sense.

> > Either way, there is probably not a database entry for a server that
> > doesn't get its address via DHCP. Also the case when there are multiple
> > DHCP servers operating independently.
>
> Multiple DHCP servers operating independently on the same network can be
> messy. It isn't impossible depending on the configuration, but it could be
> very troublesome.

If everyone responds to ICMP properly and the DHCP servers are all configured
the way people expect, it shouldn't be a problem.