[olug] MPAA toolkit

Luke -Jr luke at dashjr.org
Wed Nov 28 11:43:47 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 27 November 2007, Will Langford wrote:
> As far as I know, ISP's do keep track of when a person was
> connected...

Even if they do, this doesn't guarantee that IP's user is the customer.
The most obvious case is a drive-by wireless user.
I'm not aware of any law requiring us to log everyone who uses our network.
In the case of cable ISPs, often entire towns are placed on a single logical
switch. This allows anyone else in the general area to "borrow" any other IP
in the area's subnet, even transparently if another person is using it, via
simple man-in-the-middle tools (Ettercap).