[olug] MPAA toolkit

Barry Von Ahsen barry at vonahsen.com
Wed Nov 28 13:29:06 UTC 2007

Luke -Jr wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 November 2007, Will Langford wrote:
>> As far as I know, ISP's do keep track of when a person was
>> connected...
>
> Even if they do, this doesn't guarantee that IP's user is the customer.
> The most obvious case is a drive-by wireless user.
> I'm not aware of any law requiring us to log everyone who uses our network.

not yet at least.  California has a bill that requires wlan equipment to
warn "unsecure wireless is bad, mkay" [1], and Westchester County, New
York has a law requiring your wlan to be secured (for businesses at
least) [2].  it's only a matter of time till the lawyers determine that
providing unsecured wireless access makes you an ISP, subject to their
rules and regs

[1] http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/news/article.php/3638936
[2] http://www.govtech.com/gt/99289?topic=117671

-barry