[olug] Cox Issues Was: Cox sucks

Dan Clough dclough at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 20:47:30 UTC 2007

Phil Brutsche wrote:
> Jay Swackhamer wrote:
>
>> If a non-profit were formed, you could possibly get some corporate support.
>>
>> Hobbyist and R&D........
>>

> I think a non-profit was discussed at one point in the past, let me dig
> it up... aha, March 2005, I can post the messages some place if someone
> wants to dig through them.
>
> Last time it came up there was a lot of serious discussion but it
> fizzled out, unless someone set it up and didn't tell me! It keeps
> coming up though.

I'm wary of community datacenters - look at ChiCCP.  They've been up to
their ears in financial troubles ever since their main backer (Online
Policy Group) cut them off.  They're relying solely on member donations
and the goodwill of their board members - and that's in Chicago where
datacenters are a dime a dozen and the market is rather competitive.

Omaha's a different breed when it comes to telecommunications.  Sure,
we've got STRATCOM/Offutt, but there is only one true datacenter in town
that offers rackspace (CoSentry).  Unless the community datacenter would
be located at RTU or in someone's basement, you'd be charged top-dollar
at CoSentry for rackspace, bandwidth (the quote I was given per Mbps was
in the hundreds), etc.  (In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they
charged you for toilet paper in the bathroom.)

-Dan