[olug] System monitoring

Dave Thacker dthacker9 at cox.net
Thu Sep 7 22:42:56 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 06 September 2006 11:08, Craig Wolf wrote:
> So I am working on a project at the office when my boss says that in
> conjunction with our new SAN deployment, he wants to have some system
> monitoring.  He wants to be able to goto a central computer/screen and be
> able to look at the overall health of the network/servers.
>
> Other than Big Brother (which Adam has repeatedly tongue lashed me for NOT
> running), what other software do people use??  Not just Linux, has to be
> able to pull info from Windows, Linux, and even traditional NetWare
> (although over the next 6-8 months that will start to diminish as we move
> to OES Linux).

I've been using Big Brother and larrd for over 5 years.  It works.  Having
said that, we're really considering moving to Nagios because of the mapping
capabilities.   If you're into perl, you might want to look as Spong, a perl
fork of BB.   My co-worker has been playing with OpenNMS as well, but part of
that setup is a Postgres install, so you may not want to mess with it.

Set your pager on stun and good luck.

Dave