[olug] Minicom work with Cisco Console?

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Sun Oct 22 04:49:58 UTC 2006

Charles Bird wrote:
>> In fact, I would recommend *not* to use a 5000-series. IIRC Catalyst
>> 5000s are ISL only, the only things you'll be able to do VLANs with it
>> are older Cisco routers and older Cisco switches.
>
> Well thats sh*tty. I'll have to venture on and see.

I could be blowing smoke out my arse too.

Whether it's ISL-only or it supports both (for those that aren't
familiar with Cisco, that's ISL and 802.1q, with 802.1q being the
cross-vendor IEEE standard) depends on the software and supervisor.

It's been a long time since I've dealt with a Catalyst 5000.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us