[olug] Hans Reiser

Mario Steele nixmario at ruby-im.net
Fri Oct 13 05:48:13 UTC 2006

On 10/12/06, Will Langford <unfies at gmail.com> wrote:

> Wonder if there's any commercial NT implementations of a file system that
> can do
> similar.  I recall NTFS broke the 2GB barrier a while back, but I can't
> recall what it's cap is...
>
> -Will

As this comparison chart of NTFSv5 to NTFS/FAT32/FAT16/FAT12 shows (
http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm), NTFS right now supports 2TB Partition
sizes (Think that might have been what you was thinking when you said 2GB).
As far as I can tell, there's nothing yet in effect for a newer version of
NTFS at this time, and do belive that Longhorn and Vista will still be using
NTFSv5 as it's base partition format.

I've seen talk about there being a NTFSv6, where instead of using
Journalizing storage records, that it'll be converting to a SQL Type storage
system, for managing entry records.  But since I've not heard anything like
this from official channels, I take it with a grain of salt, like with most
things that come from Microsoft's own mouth.