[olug] vmware server on AMD opteron

Matt Anderson manderso at cs.wisc.edu
Mon May 15 20:10:33 UTC 2006

Does anyone have any experience with or knowledge of running the
vmware server product on top of an AMD Opteron processor (or
processors)?  I'm wondering how well it works, if there are any
gotchas or weirdness, etc.

In particular, I was considering putting together a dual dual-core
Opteron computer (or alternatively a dual Opteron) which would then
be sliced up for actual use with the vmware server.  Most likely, the
operating system running on the bare machine would be the most
minimal (AMD 64 bit) Fedora Core or SUSE install which could get the
job (of running vmware server) done.  Would anyone anticipate
difficulties with such a setup?  Would anyone have advice or opinions
on the details of such a setup?

I have no experience to date running any OS (natively or in 32-bit
emulation) on an Opteron, but my assumption is that it works pretty
smoothly.

Thanks a lot!

--
  Matt Anderson